A photograph of the Bowring Institute.

Reference Number
1380/1/16/004
Alternative Reference Number
1380
Level of Description
Item
Title
A photograph of the Bowring Institute.
Creator(s) & Administrative History
Colour Sergeant Frederick John Reginald Urch
Date
1915
Extent
Extent: 1 photograph
Description
Photograph of The Bowring Institute, originally established in 1865 as a Scientific and Literary Institute and later used for social events including cinematic presentations. On 30 March 1915 there were 50 free seats available.

A Sepoy stands next to a bicycle at the front of the building. The building appears to be a mash-up between Scottish baronial and Sikh architecture with battlements, dentils, string courses and fishscale shingles . It is of brick construction with two-storeys with a return wing and between the two is an elaborate pitched roof port cochère. The towers incorporate large rendered panels with imperial insignia. Advertising boards stand on each side of the entrance.
Access Conditions
Physical access to the photograph album is restricted to the depositors family only. Public access to the photograph is available via the digitised version on Bath Record Office: Archives and Local Studies online catalogue.